Okuu Keremet!, Kyrgyzstan
A multi-year effort to improve the quality of instruction in elementary schools in the Kyrgyz Republic. Includes fifteen multi-lingual teacher training modules, remote learning training modules, and student-leveled readers.
New Research-based Strategies
Worked in partnership with RTI, local educators, subject-matter experts, and ministry of education staff to create professional development modules. The program introduces new research-based instructional strategies to Kyrgyz teachers.
- Collaborated with RTI and the Kyrgyz team on the overall instructional design of the professional development modules and the associated training materials.
- Worked together with the multi-national team to research, write, and edit reading/language arts and mathematics modules.
- Designed and produced all print-ready pages, including all instructional art and images.
Developed in Moodle
Using Moodle as a development environment, created the instructional design and content for remote learning versions of the reading/language arts and mathematics training modules
- Together with RTI staff and local production vendors, combined the content of the in-person modules with video and interactive activities to meet the professional development objectives.
Worked with RTI project staff and local writers and illustrators to develop a library of supplemental readers in Kyrgyz, Russian, Tajik, and Uzbek languages.
- Collaborated on the development of a five-year publishing plan to ultimately produce 1,500 children’s leveled books in different grades, genres, topics, and languages and establish what is expected to become a sustainable children’s literature publishing industry.
- Introduced internationally accepted publishing standards to promote the production of high-quality, diverse children’s books.
- Evaluated industry publishing tools and guided the project team in the selection of SIL’s Bloom Library as the optimal development tool for the Kyrgyz setting.
- Worked with RTI staff to create a development process that enhanced the skills of Kyrgyz writers and illustrators.
- Developed training sessions with RTI staff and trained Kyrgyz writers and illustrators in overall book design standards, practices, and market expectations.
- Empowered local authors and illustrators to serve as mentors in the Kyrgyz publishing community.